Virginia Tech is looking for a Cloud Security Analyst in Blacksburg – Apply Here!
The Collaborative Computing Solutions (CCS) unit within the Division of IT (Information Technology) at Virginia Tech (VT) works to ensure that university accounts, services, and data within our software-as-a-service (SaaS) environments are secure, available, and compliant. To support this mission, CCS is seeking a talented Cloud Security Operations Analyst to join our team.
CCS directly manages the following services for Virginia Tech:
• University Email Services (Gmail and Exchange Online)
• VT SaaS Environments (G Suite for Education, Office 365, and Slack)
• Cloud Accounts and Services (AWS (Amazon Web Services), Microsoft Azure, and GCP (Google Cloud Platform))
• Secure Virtual Environments (Hyper-V)
• VT Active Directory (On premise-AD and Azure Active Directory)
For the VT CCS SaaS environments:
• Configure and implement best practices related to Endpoint Detection & Response (EDR), Data Loss Prevention (DLP), sensitivity labeling, and retention policies
• Monitor, identify and investigate security incidents, alerts, and notifications
• Quarantine and mitigate active threats to protect services, users, and data
• Advise stakeholders to reduce organization risk, improve threat protection practices and report on violations of policy
• Diagnosis, troubleshoot, and consult with users and departmental IT administrators regarding incidents, service requests and best practices
• Work both independently and as part of the CCS team to manage the security and health of accounts, services, and data for the university
• Follow established policies, procedures, and best practices to ensure operational excellence and efficient workflow
• Create and maintain up-to-date documentation and procedures around all work efforts
• Maintain operational knowledge of new and updated service offerings and administrative controls
PLEASE NOTE: Sponsorship is not available for this role.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, IT related field or equivalent work experience in a related field
• CompTIA Security+ or equivalent certification required
• Extensive experience working in and supporting SaaS environments, such as Google Workspace or Microsoft 365
• Extensive experience meeting deadlines and completing assigned IT work in a timely manner
• Experience performing vulnerability and compliance scans
• Experience analyzing vulnerability results to manage risks to the organization
• Experience working with log analytics and data visualization tools (Splunk, Kibana, Azure Sentinel, etc.)
• Experience with authentication protocols, password security, multi-factor authentication and conditional access policies
• Experience with data encryption related to SSL/TLS and PKI certificates
• Experience working with Microsoft PowerShell and other scripting languages
• Experience handling sensitive data and privileged accounts
• Knowledge of email communication flows and industry best practices to protect against spam and phishing threats
• Excellent communication skills
• Ability to work independently and in a team environment
• Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, IT related field or equivalent work experience in a related field
• Exam SC-200: Microsoft Security Operations Analyst certification
• Administrative experience with Microsoft Information Protection, Data Loss Prevention, or Defender for Endpoints
• Experience with KQL (Kusto Query Language)
• Experience with GAM (Google Apps Manager)
• Experience with 3rd-party cloud solutions such as Microsoft Azure, Amazon AWS, and Google Cloud Platform
• Experience in providing IT security guidance or training through knowledge base articles or end-user training
• Experience with managing medium-to-high-risk data including FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act), PII (Personally Identifiable Information), ePHI and CUI (Controlled Unclassified Information) data elements
• Strong skills in preparing reports/documents and presenting information
$80,000 – $90,000
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight , a , a college, , and . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous and . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Brittany Kessler at [email protected] during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.