Grammarly is looking for a Data Engineers in Washington – Apply Here!
Grammarly is excited to offer a remote-first hybrid working model . Team members can work primarily remotely in the United States, Canada, Ukraine, Germany, Poland, or Portugal. Conditions permitting, teams will meet in person a few weeks every quarter at one of Grammarly’s hubs in San Francisco, Kyiv, New York, Vancouver, and Berlin, or in a workspace in Kraków.
We believe this balanced, flexible approach gives our team members the best of both worlds: plenty of focus time along with in-person collaboration that fosters trust, unlocks creativity, and further fuels innovation.
Grammarly team members in this role must be based in the United States or Canada.
Grammarly empowers people to thrive and connect whenever and wherever they communicate. Every day, over 30 million people and 50,000 teams around the world rely on our AI-powered communication assistance technology. All of this begins with our team collaborating in a values-driven and learning-oriented environment.
To achieve our ambitious goals, we’re looking for a Data Engineer to join our Data Platform team. The Data Platform team is responsible for all aspects of the data lifecycle here at Grammarly.
As a rapidly growing company, we offer opportunities to join a team and learn from experienced peers, as well as opportunities to build product offerings and teams from the ground up. Within our growing engineering organization, there is plenty of room for ownership and direct impact on users.
Grammarly’s engineers and researchers have the freedom to innovate and uncover breakthroughs—and, in turn, influence our product roadmap. The complexity of our technical challenges is growing rapidly as we scale our interfaces, algorithms, and infrastructure. Read more about our stack or hear from our team on our technical blog .
As a Data Engineer, you will create engineering and analytical efficiencies as the owner of our company-wide data lake. Our cutting-edge data lake is the central hub for all data producers and data consumers, so your impact will span all of Grammarly. You will have the opportunity to design and code highly optimized algorithms and datasets.
Data engineers are responsible for making disparate data centrally available to Grammarly’s team members while ensuring query efficiency and efficacy. The technical requirements of this role include a deep understanding of the querying engine of Spark, the performance (read/write) optimization of Delta tables, data modeling, data transformation at scale, Python or Scala coding abilities, and advanced SQL skills. The backbone of a Data Engineer at Grammarly’s success will be communication, stakeholder management, and a passion for data.
We invite you to share your knowledge, experience, and goals with us to help us find the best team match for you. Tell us your superpower!
In This Role, You Will
• Start building and pushing code in your first week and ship meaningful features in your first few months.
• Build algorithms that allow for the quick and efficient retrieval of large amounts of data.
• Build datasets that create fact-based insight, influence operational decision-making, and provide data-driven business solutions.
• Have the opportunity to mentor new hires.
• Shape and build a technical and data-driven culture at Grammarly.
We’re Looking For Someone Who
• Embodies our EAGER values—is ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable.
• Is able to collaborate in person 2 weeks per quarter, traveling if necessary to the hub where the team is based.
• Has at least 2 years of experience using large-scale data-analytics engines like Spark.
• Displays excellent software-engineering fundamentals, including knowledge of algorithms and data structures.
• Demonstrates perseverance when faced with tough technical issues.
• Has some experience with AWS or other cloud offerings (GCP, Azure, etc.).
• Has experience building, deploying, and debugging production systems at scale.
• Cares about the end-user experience and strives to ensure high quality.
Support for you, professionally and personally
• Professional growth : We hire people we trust and give team members autonomy to do their best work. We also support professional development with training, coaching, and regular feedback.
• A connected team : Grammarly builds a product that helps people connect, and we apply this mindset to our own team. We have a highly collaborative culture supported by our EAGER values. We also take time to celebrate our colleagues and accomplishments with global, local, and team-specific events and programs.
• Comprehensive benefits : Grammarly offers all team members competitive pay along with a benefits package encompassing superior health care (including mental health benefits). We also offer support to set up a home office, ample and defined time off, gym and recreation stipends, 401(k) matching, and more.
• For Colorado-based employment : The salary range for this position is $101,000–$217,000/year; however, base pay offered may vary considerably depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The compensation package includes a wide range of medical, dental, vision, financial, and other benefits, as well as equity.
We encourage you to apply
At Grammarly, we value our differences, and we encourage all—especially those whose identities are traditionally underrepresented in tech organizations—to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, political belief, or any other characteristic protected by law. Grammarly is an equal opportunity employer, a participant in the US Federal E-Verify program (US), and abides by the Employment Equity Act (Canada).
Grammarly currently supports the long-term work of team members in the following US states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Pennsylvania (Kennett Township, New London Township, Pittsburgh City, Shaler Township), South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Virginia, and Washington, as well as the District of Columbia
Grammarly currently supports the long-term work of team members in the following Canadian provinces: British Columbia, Ontario
Please note that EEOC is optional and specific to US-based candidates
Please note that Grammarly’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires that all team members in North America be vaccinated against COVID-19 to meet in person for Grammarly business or to work from a North America hub location. It is expected that this will be a requirement for this role. Qualified candidates in North America who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons or because of a sincerely held religious belief may request a reasonable accommodation to this policy. For Europe, this policy requires team members to be vaccinated or produce a daily negative COVID-19 test administered on-site to work from the hub or attend in-person meetings.