Dice is looking for a Release Manager in Glen Allen – Apply Here!
Dice is the leading career destination for tech experts at every stage of their careers. Our client, Apex Systems, is seeking the following. Apply via Dice today!
Apex Systems is currently supporting a Release Engineer for one of our clients. Please find the job description below and send your resume to Allison at
w2 consultants only
The Configuration Release Engineer position builds and releases software systems that are developed by development teams. The focus is on build configuration, automation and production deployment.
• Responsible for facilitation of .Net/C# large deployments
• Responsible for automation of manual deploy tasks (scripting, code writing, config transforms, etc)
• Performs regular manual deployment engineering tasks.
• Facilitates regular release planning and approval meetings across all IT and PMO areas to coordinate release content and effort based on the service request backlog, pending service requests, third party applications, and/or operating system updates.
• Tracks progress of all projects, ensuring roles have been properly filled and adhered to and work is progressing according to schedule. Informs or requests assistance from the appropriate people if critical problems arise.
• Ensures appropriate resources have been assigned to various roles (PM, BA, Dev, Test, Approval).
• Manages risks and resolve issues that affect release scope, schedule and quality.
• Works with leadership to coordinate the content of releases as projects are approved and ensures that teams are adhering to the organization’s established release policies and procedures.
• Tracks findings and provides information to management and executive leaders about issues in the release management process.
• Ensures the release process is adhered to, provides reports and feedback to leaders, and engages in continuous process improvement efforts (root cause analysis, define options, implement solutions).
• Measures and monitors progress to ensure application releases are delivered on time and within budget, and that they meet or exceed expectations.
• Coordinates the investigation into issues preventing expected progress in completing work items.
• Investigates patterns of reported defects to determine common root causes and options for addressing them.
• Prepares implementation plan and review with project teams and stakeholders including contact lists, communication, back-out, and production verification.
• Provides guidance and support throughout the release process, including known workarounds.
• Leads and coordinates Go-Live activities including execution of the deployment plans and checklists.
• Maintains up-to-date knowledge and understanding of release management processes.
• Coordinates release communications, including progress updates, detailed release plans, and customer demos.
• Coordinates approvals for deploying off-cycle and emergency releases.
• Assists in managing projects and interdependencies to ensure milestone adherence.
• Determines appropriate metrics to measure the integrity of each release.
• Monitors and publicize release management ‘best practices’ used by other companies in similar business processes.
• Continually works toward making improvements in the release process.
• Coordinates the development of automated release processes.
EDUCATION OR EQUIVALENT EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field. Combinations of relevant education and experience may be considered in lieu of a degree. Continuous learning, as defined by the Company’s learning philosophy, is required. PMP certification strongly preferred. Certification in Workers’ Compensation and/or general insurance practices, or progress toward certification, is highly preferred and encouraged.
Seven years of progressively more responsible experience in IT environment with demonstrated knowledge which provides the necessary skills, knowledge, and abilities. Three years of significant release and/ or project management experience required. Experience within the insurance industry highly preferred.
SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE/ABILITIES (SKA) REQUIRED:
• Understanding of ITIL configuration and release management practices.
• Maintain practical knowledge and understanding of release management best practices.
• Understanding of software release metrics and process controls.
• Advanced understanding of ALM processes, procedures, workflows, and applications used.
• Understanding of all systems and how they interact.
• Demonstrated ability to coordinate cross-functional work teams toward task completion.
• Demonstrated effective leadership and analytical skills.
• Ability to exchange factual and technical information clearly and concisely with managers, technicians, and similar individuals.
• Excellent oral and written communications, as well as presentation skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Confidence to manage challenging interactions, provide feedback, and facilitate meetings with managers and executive leaders.
• Demonstrated leadership skills with the ability to successfully function in a team environment.
• Ability to comprehend the consequences of various problem situations and address them, or refer them for appropriate decision-making.
• Ability to establish rapport and maintain customer satisfaction without compromising quality.
• Ability to interact with others to build consensus on use of release management practices and standards.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently.
• Ability to handle multiple priorities, establishes workflow, and meets necessary deadlines.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Experience with ASP.NET (C#), .NET 4.0
• Experience with Advanced Git experience
• Strong Experience with various deployment tools (Jenkins, Bamboo, Cruisecontrol, Team City etc)
• Experience with WCF/Web API, Service Stack a plus
• Experience with MS SQL Server, including database design, T-SQL, and stored procedures
• Strong background in continuous integration, deployment tools, especially Bamboo, Jenkins, TeamCity or equivalent deployment product,;Microsoft Azure / Amazon Web Services;DotNetNuke Site Administration ;RabbitMQ / MSMQ Administration; Redis Administration; Basic Linux
Apex Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, genetic information, registered domestic partner status, marital status, disability, status as a crime victim, protected veteran status, political affiliation, union membership, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at or – provided by Dice