Aerovironment is looking for a Machine Learning Engineers in Manassas – Apply Here!
The Machine Learning Engineer, Sr. will be a key member of the Learning and Active Perception (LEAP) group in AV’s MacCready Works division and lead the development of a variety of innovative computer vision detection, classification, localization, and tracking solutions for defense and commercial applications. As a senior machine learning engineer will also mentor more junior engineers. Development efforts will require a range of skills and tools across traditional engineering, computer science, and mathematical disciplines including computer vision, machine learning, optimization, deep convolutional neural networks, and visual tracking. This position will work on all stages of the development cycle including requirements definition, concept design, prototyping, detailed design, test and evaluation, and validation and verification testing.
• Leads development of computer vision and machine learning (ML) algorithms capable of detection, classifying, localizing, and tracking objects of interest from a variety of stationary and mobile sensor platforms
• Implements ML algorithms and validates designs through a series of purpose-designed experiments
• Analyzes ML algorithms and errors of the trained models, designs strategies to overcome them
• Sets objectives and develops models that help achieve them, along with metrics to track their progress
• Selects appropriate datasets and data representations; supervises data acquisition process if required
• Writes and tests software to support the integration of machine learning algorithms into aircraft (such as autopilots, payloads, or other functional components) or other systems
• Manages available resources such as hardware, data, and personnel so that deadlines are met; coordinates activities of others (Team Lead) and between teams as required
• Other duties as assigned
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills & Experience):
• Bachelor of Science in any of the following fields: Computer Science/Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or related Science or Engineering, or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
• Minimum of 8-12 years of relevant experience
• Familiarity with C/C++ or Python required
• Demonstrated ability to design, implement, and troubleshoot complex systems
• Proficiency with a deep learning framework such as TensorFlow or Keras
• Proficiency with basic libraries for machine learning such as scikit-learn and pandas
• Proficiency with OpenCV
• Proficiency with Linux
• Ability to select hardware to run an ML model with the required latency
• Expertise in visualizing and manipulating big datasets
• Computational statistics
• Mathematical optimization
• Exploratory data analysis
• Predictive analytics
Other Qualifications & Desired Competencies:
• Familiarity with office software and computer-based productivity tools
• Ability to work within defined requirements to complete tasks under moderate supervision
• Must be a team player and collaborate effectively
• Excellent verbal and written skills
• Has effective problem-solving, analytical, interpersonal and communication skills
• Ability and desire to read, distill, and implement academic papers in the domain to evaluate cutting edge approaches and ideas
• Able to excel in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment, where small teams share a broad variety of duties
• Displays strong initiative and drive to accomplish goals and meet company objectives
• Takes ownership and responsibility for current and past work products
• Is committed to learning from mistakes and driven to improve and enhance performance of oneself, others, and the company
• Focuses on teamwork, collaboration and puts the success of the team above one’s own interests
• Ability to work in an office environment (Constant)
• Required to sit and stand for long periods; talk, hear, and use hands and fingers to operate a computer and telephone keyboard (Frequent)
This position requires access to information that is subject to compliance with the International Traffic Arms Regulations (“ITAR”) and/or the Export Administration Regulations (“EAR”). In order to comply with the requirements of the ITAR and/or the EAR, applicants will be asked to provide specific documentation to verify U.S. person status under the ITAR and the EAR. A “U.S. person” according to their definition is a U.S. citizen, U.S. lawful permanent resident (green card holder), or protected individual such as a refugee, or asylee. See 22 CFR § 120.15. Some positions will require current U.S. Citizenship due to contract requirements.
Benefits: AV offers an excellent benefits package including medical, dental vision, 401K with company matching, a 9/80 work schedule and a paid holiday shutdown. For more information about our company benefit offerings please visit: [Link available when viewing the job] />
We also encourage you to review our company website at [Link available when viewing the job] to learn more about us.
Principals only need apply. NO agencies please.
Who We Are
Based in California, AeroVironment (AVAV) is a global leader in unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) and tactical missile systems. Founded in 1971 by celebrated physicist and engineer, Dr. Paul MacCready, we’ve been at the leading edge of technical innovation for more than 45 years. Be a part of the team that developed the world’s most widely used military drones and created the first submarine-launched reconnaissance drone, and has seven innovative vehicles that are part of the Smithsonian Institution’s permanent collection in Washington, DC.
Join us today in developing the next generation of small UAS and tactical missile systems that will deliver more actionable intelligence to our customers so they can proceed with certainty – and succeed.
What We Do
Building on a history of technological innovation, AeroVironment designs, develops, produces, and supports an advanced portfolio of unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) and tactical missile systems. Agencies of the U.S. Department of Defense and allied military services use the company’s hand-launched UAS to provide situational awareness to tactical operating units through real-time, airborne reconnaissance, surveillance, and target acquisition.
AeroVironment Incorporated is an equal opportunity employer, M/F/D/V and works in compliance with both federal and state laws. We are committed to the concept regarding Equal Employment opportunity. Qualified candidates will be considered for employment regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, marital status, medical condition nor disability, genetics, veteran and all others that may apply.
U.S. Citizenship required. Must be willing to work on government contracts and have the ability to obtain a security clearance.